LOCTITE 518 Gasket Sealant
Known as Loctite 518 Gasket Eliminator Flange Sealant
Features and Benefits
- Semi-flexible, medium-strength anaerobic flange gasket
- For active and inactive rigid metal flanges
- Cures through minor surface contamination
- Adapts to flange surface irregularities and gaps up to 0.25 mm
- Gel-type consistency
- Seals instantly against low pressure
- Reduces inventory costs – no need for large inventory of cut gaskets
- Resists high pressure when fully cured
- No compression set or misaligned gaskets
- Easy to automate
- Reduces process costs – eliminates manual assembly of conventional gaskets
- NSF P1 Reg. No. 123758
|Application Method||Dispense System, Manual|
|Applications||Rigid Assembly Gasketing, Sealing|
|Cure Type||Anaerobic Cure|
|Fixture Time, Steel||25.0 min.|
|Gap Fill, Unprimed||0.25 mm|
|Key Characteristics||Thixotropic, For machined, rigid flanges, Fluorescent, Strength: Medium Strength, Immediate Low Pressure Sealing, Surface Contamination-Tolerant|
|Operating Temperature||-55.0 - 150.0 °C (-65.0 - 300.0 °F )|
|Specific Gravity, @ 25.0 °C||1.1|
|Substrates||Metal: Aluminum, Metal: Iron - Cast Iron, Metal: Steel, Metal: Passive Metal|
|Viscosity||750000.0 mPa·s (cP)|
Step by Step Guide
1. Preparation - Cleaning
Apply LOCTITE® SF 790™ to old gasket or gasket sealants and use a wood or plastic scraper to remove residues from flange surfaces. Remove burrs. It is recommended to use LOCTITE® SF 7070™ to degrease and clean surfaces prior to applying the sealant.
2. Preparation - Activation
If cure speed of LOCTITE® 518™ is too slow due to passive metals or low temperature (below 5°C), use LOCTITE® SF 7649™ activator. Allow to dry.
Apply a continuous bead of sealant onto one flange surface. Place the bead close to the inner rim of the flange and encircle all bolt holes. Small surface scratches will be filled by the adhesive. LOCTITE® 518™ can also be applied by roller onto larger flanges.
Assemble flanges and tighten bolts as soon as possible. Wipe away any excess squeeze-out, as this will not cure when exposed to air due to sealant's anaerobic curing properties.
Disassemble bolts with standard hand tools. Use jacking-screws, cast-on bosses or recesses to lift flanges apart. Once disassembled, apply LOCTITE® SF 790™ on old sealant and use a wood or plastic scraper to remove residues from flange surfaces. For corroded or seized parts, use LOCTITE® LB 8040™ Freeze and Release.
Where to Buy
Use our distributor locator to find your nearest store.
* Contact the distributor to confirm that the selected product is in stock.Go To distributor locator