Thread sealing is achieved as the anaerobic adhesive cures when confined in the absence of air, and between close metal fitting surfaces. This technology is ideal for joints, which are considered to be dynamic due to vibration, changing pressures or changing temperatures.
When to Use a Thread Sealant
Designed for low and high pressure applications, thread sealants fill the space between threaded parts and provide an instant, low pressure seal. When fully cured, they seal to the burst strength of most pipe systems.
Typical applications for thread sealants include sealing metal tapered pipe threads and fittings in the chemical processing, petroleum refining, pulp/paper, waste treatment, textile, utilities / power generation, marine, automotive, gas compression and distribution industries. Thread sealers are also recommended for industrial plant and fluid power systems.
Advantages of LOCTITE® Thread Sealants
- Single-component – clean and easy to apply
- Do not creep, shrink or contaminate systems
- Can be used on any size of pipe fitting
- Replace all types of tape and hemp/paste sealants
- The seal resists vibration and shock loads
- Available with major agency approvals
- Protect mated threaded areas against corrosion
- Available with potable water and gas approvals
- Ensures complete contact between threads, 100% seal
- Designed for high- and low-pressure applications
- Has controlled strength for ease of disassembly
Watch How LOCTITE® Thread Sealants Are Used on Snowmobiles:
LOCTITE® 567™ and LOCTITE® 577™ Thread Sealants Offer Powerful Performance
No drips, no leaks, no unscheduled downtime — the next generation of LOCTITE thread sealants.
Why Using LOCTITE® Thread Sealants Is Better Than Traditional Sealant Types
- Solvent-based sealing compounds can shrink during cure as solvents evaporate. Fittings must be re-torqued to minimize voids. They lock the assembly by a combination of friction and deformation.
- PTFE tape lubricates in off direction, allowing fittings to loosen under dynamic loads and resulting in loss of clamping force and leakage. Dynamic loads may accelerate creep, causing leakage over time. The lubricating effect of PTFE frequently results in over-tightening of fasteners, adding stress or causing breakage of parts. Application requires good professional skills to avoid stressing fittings or castings.
- Hemp and paste are slow to apply, are messy to assemble, and interfere with the torque needed to obtain the correct pre-stress. These can require re-work to achieve a 100% seal of the assembly.
Please fill out the form below and we'll respond shortly. For immediate assistance with a technical request please call 1-800-LOCTITE.